Wednesday, April 7, 2010

New Arena

Another meet up! I know... I'd almost forgotten about it too! As terrible a job as I'm doing of keeping pace with this project (to finish it by the chosen date), I still get really excited and happy each time I do get to meet up face to face with one of my friend (or... 'friends' as the case may be).

The case in this case... is my friend... Case.

I've known OF Caseen since he articulately presented the morning reports in middle school. He is a couple of years behind me, but we were in school together for most our time in school. We also are both Rutgers alum, and ran into each other a few times while there. Now we are both teaching in the same district we attended school. Caseen teaches high school english. He is also very involved with the theatre (performing and directing), and heads up our towns main theatre company. Writing all of this now, and reflecting on our meet up, I realize that we do have many things in common. Case even pointed out that many people in town get the two of us confused quite often. We decided to head to one of the classic Hackensack haunts, The Arena Diner. We had breakfast, and discussed everything from time travel to tube vs. flatscreen tvs, to 80's nostalgia, to budget cuts, to Pee Wee Herman. That's right... Pee Wee Herman. It turns out, not only is Case a director and star of the stage, but he is an author, with an awesome, intriguing and controversial book in the works about... Pee Wee's Playhouse. He told me all about the in's and out's and the process he's going through to get his book finished and published. Honestly... the story of writing the book, may be as interesting of the story inside of the book! He's talking with people who've worked on the show in every capacity, celebrity guests and he is a flashing, beeping red dot on the radar of the man himself! Great stories there too. We also talked about Facebook, and the troubles of denying or adding certain 'friends'. Thanks to Case I'll be taking a close look at the feature that allows one to limit the access other 'friends' have to one's page. As we talked about... there are DEF some instances where this is appropriate. Also discussed, the iPhone as a perfect and essential device. Caseen made a good case (I promise I tried to avoid the pun!) for his love of the technological cultural zeitgeist that is the iPhone. I maintain my slight aversion, but Caseen has made me peek from a different perspective (As long as he doesn't try to sell me on the iPad... we're cool). Good time, good laughs, good food, good... goodness. I'll be following his progress on the book, and definitely will look to speak/hang with Case again.

Face to Face #7: 1 friend

Friend count: 11

No comments:

Post a Comment