Sunday, April 25, 2010

New Heights

I was very excited when I got a response from my friend Orlando with an invitation to meet up. Orlando suggested we go try a passion of his... rock climbing.
Orlando and I went to school together from middle school through high school. We'd always gotten along and shared some similar interests and friends, but now, 10 years later, we've actually got quite a bit in common.
I had often thought about rock climbing. I had always thought that rock climbing was all about getting as high as you can... on a rock. I've climbed rocky surfaces while hiking and enjoyed it, but todays experience was far beyond what I'd expected. Orlando met me at the high school we both attended. I was there to watch one of my students who was competing in a track meet. We stayed for a while, conversing and catching up about the past 10 years and our lives today. Orlando left our town soon after high school. He has spent the past several years furthering his education, doing volunteer work, and adventuring in several countries around the world. We share a love of exotic foods, different cultures, and traveling. Both of us would enjoy packing a backpack and being dropped 'anywhere but here'. Orlando started Climbing in Hawaii where he lived and went to school, and experienced an earthquake while on the rock. One of those experiences that either endears you to the sport, or keeps you away from it for good. Orlando was hooked. We went to an indoor rock gym today and it was awesome!
Not only was it an incredible physical workout, but an intense physical and mental challenge. It's like solving puzzles that require total focus and complete physical engagement. In a split second, you have to make decisions about which hold to grab, how to hold it, where to place your feet, etc. Orlando mentioned that one of the reasons he loves climbing, is because it's the only time that his mind is truly clear of anything else. I can definitely understand that. I was completely focused on my next move at every point. Orlando is a very good climber, and I hope to eventually be one as well. This was a fantastic experience that I'd like to try to do regularly. Great hanging out with Orlando.




Face to Face #9: 1 friend

Friend count: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment