Sunday, November 29, 2009

10 year reunion

Last Saturday night was my 10 year high school reunion. I had a great time! I was originally intending to try and rack up face to face meet ups at the event, and cross off a dozen or so names from the list of friends I still want/have to meet up with. After thinking about the night though, I am very glad that I didn't. It was great seeing everyone again (everyone that was there anyway, about 40 out of a class of 300 +). I got to meet some new people, and speak with a couple of people that I wasn't really close to in high school, and am excited about the conversations we had. When I met up with my college friends it really felt like we were all just hanging out again. This felt like I was being reintroduced to a lot of people. Again, it was a lot of fun.

I talked to my former classmates Brandi, Ulysses, Chris and my good friend Tristan. I also got to meet my friend Michele's husband Ronald. Out of all of my conversations with former classmates and new people I was meeting for the first time, I felt like my time talking to these 5 people held the most potential for hanging out again.

Brandi it turns out is looking to teach, and we also share a passion for writing. She's in the midst of writing a book write now, and we talked about potentially linking up sometime to share/discuss some writing. We were friendly in high school, and we share a mutual best friend (have to call her soon!) but we weren't close friends in high school.

Ulysses (I'm sure I'm spelling that incorrectly) was another person that I felt like was a distant friend, or a friend once removed. We weren't very close with each other, but had some things in common. I learned that in college he was performing with a breakin crew. Awesome. We talked for a little while, and I learned that he married another former classmate, Suzanne. I'm interested in catching up with him some more.

Chris and I were closer than I was to the other two. We hung out with many of the same friends and were in a school play together. He is married now and has a son. He's also really funny, had me crackin up most of the night. He asked for a copy of the videotape of the play we were in. Now I'm on a mission to find it in the attic.

Then there was Ronald, the husband of my classmate and friend Michele. Currently his niece is one of the stars of my 2nd grade classroom. He told me that she often talks highly of her teacher and her class, and that she's mentioned that I remind her of him. He said that he'd heard that before from others as well. We both decided that after some brief yet good conversation, it would be worth it to explore the link and stay in touch. I made the first move by contacting Michele on Facebook, and am hoping things progress from there.

Tristan is one of my best friends since middle school. Even though we haven't hung out in a long while, I always feel like no time has passed when we do chill, however rarely. He lives close by, and an odd set of coincidences linked our activities the week of Thanksgiving. We talked about hanging out soon. I think we said bowling next sunday. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment