Friday, November 6, 2009

Soooo... I guess we're on?

I woke up this morning with thoughts of friendships in the digital age swirling around my head. How seriously do we take friendships that are relegated to keyboard clicks, witty comments and pic surfing? I've always been one to be fine with long distance-friendships, as well as going long stretches of time without contact, then connecting again and treating things like nothing had changed. I know this isn't the same for everyone though. If I hung out or talked to my friends face to face the amount of times that I checked their pages... I would be flooded with "friendship" everyday, several times a day... to the point that it would be impractical, and I'd need to say... "We should take a break...". I guess this is where the digital part helps out. I don't get sick of any of the people on my friends list, and if I did... I can just hide their posts. Yes, I have hidden posts. You kind of have to sometimes I think. Then you can rediscover that person all over again in the future. I'd like to take this moment to point out that I often ramble from tangent to tangent... so I hope that it's tolerable.

I started a Facebook group yesterday for the project, and there are 22 members this morning. Awesome. I'm curious about how many friends they (and you) have, and how many of those friends they consider actual, real-life, face to face friends... or actual friends that they haven't met face to face.

So I was meaning to start this experiment officially on January 1st, 2010... but it seems like things are starting to roll along a little more quickly than expected. Should I just start sooner than I'd intended? Is that against the rules? ...I know that I make the rules... and that it's kind of ridiculous for me to ask myself... but I'd like to know what other people think. Maybe I'll ask the group!

2 comments: